Kale seems to be all the rage these days. Toss is with black beans and you’ve got a healthy and satisfying side dish.
1 tsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. water
1 bunch (8 oz) fresh kale, ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced (6 cups)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
2 cups hot cooked brown rice
2 oz gluten-free reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion in oil about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes longer or until light brown and very soft.
- Add water; increase heat to medium.
- Simmer about 2 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add kale and salt.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until kale wilts.
- Add black beans and thyme; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over rice; top with cheese.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- I agree with the hint on the website which suggests squeezing fresh lemon juice over the top just before serving. This brightens up the flavor and adds freshness.
Yield: 4 servings