National Olive Day – June 1st


Happy National Olive Day!

Did you know that olives are one of the world’s largest fruit crops, with more than 25 million acres of olive trees planted worldwide? Here’s how it breaks out by country per year, according to http://www.whfoods.com

  1. Spain:  6 million tons
  2. Italy: 3.5 million tons
  3. Greece: 2.5 million tons
  4. Turkey and Syria are the next major olive producers.

Other interesting Olive facts:

  • Mediterranean production of olives involves approximately 800 million trees.
  • 90% of all Mediterranean olives are crushed for olive oil; the other 10% are eaten whole.
  • In the USA, California’s 27,000 acre Central Valley produces the most olives.

    Mixed Olive Bruschetta, Courtesy: www.calolive.org, by Miryam Quinn Doblas of Eat Good for Life
    Mixed Olive Bruschetta, Courtesy: http://www.calolive.org, by Miryam Quinn Doblas of Eat Good for Life

To get you in the mood to celebrate, here are a few of my favorite recipes featuring the honored olive:

Also, check out my in-depth comparison of name brand olives versus store-brand olives in my post A Tale of Two Olives.

Source:  http://www.nationalcalendarday.com, http://www.wikipedia.com, http://www.whfoods.com

***

Advertisements

Please Share a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s