Here’s the perfect macaroni salad to bring to your next summer picnic. Be careful not to let it sit out too long though – that mayo is a TCS food and should be kept at the appropriate temperature for safe consumption.
2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained
1/3 cup diced celery
1/4 cup minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, drained
1 Tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup diced vine-ripened tomato (optional)
1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. sour cream
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, onion, parsley and tomato, if using.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, sour cream and salt, to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- I omitted the tomatoes because they tend to make the macaroni salad too wet.
- I added two hard boiled eggs, diced, along with another hard boiled egg sliced on top – that’s what my mom did and I always liked that. Sprinkle with some paprika (not in the recipe) and you’re good to go.
Yield: 6 servings