Happy National Watermelon Day!
Just so you’ll be ready to celebrate the day, here are some interesting facts about watermelon, from watermelon.org:
- Watermelons are 92% water, so they are an excellent source of hydration.
- Watermelon rinds are edible and can be stir fried, stewed or pickled.
- Watermelons are an excellent source of vitamins A, B6 and C.
- A good/fresh watermelon will have a creamy yellow spot on the underside, where it sat on the ground to be ripened from the sun.
- Honeybees must pollinate every yellow watermelon blossom in order to fruit.
- The United States ranks 6th in worldwide production of watermelon, with Florida, Texas, California, Georgia and Indiana consistently in the lead.
- More than 300 varieties of watermelon are cultivated in the United States and South America.
- By weight, watermelon is the most-consumed melon in the United States, followed by cantaloupe and honeydew melons.