This basic German Potato Salad recipe uses white wine vinegar, mustard and bacon for an authentic preparation.
1 1/2 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed
3 slices bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. whole-grain Dijon mustard
- In a 5-quart saucepan, bring 1 inch salted water to a boil; reduce to a simmer.
- Add potatoes.
- Cover; cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain; cool slightly, and halve.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion.
- Cook, stirring often, until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add 3 tablespoons vinegar and mustard.
- Toss with warm potatoes.
- If desired, season with salt and pepper, and add up to 1 tablespoon more vinegar.
- Serve warm.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Add some fresh, chopped parsley for a garnish just before
Yield: 4 servings
Source: http://www.marthastewart.com. Everyday Food, Fresh Flavor Fast, 2010