In a recent Food Mingle Blog Poll, we asked about your favorite hot soup. The results are in! In a very close race, THE WINNER IS: Chicken Noodle Soup!
(Worthy of honorable mention with just one less vote is Hearty Beef and Vegetable soup.)
Thanks to everyone who voted. You can see the poll results here.
As promised, here is the winning recipe for your favorite hot soup: Chicken Noodle Soup.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 stalks celery, diced small
2 medium carrots, diced medium
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
Salt and pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 ounces vermicelli or angel-hair pasta, broken into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add celery, carrots, and onion and cook until celery and carrots are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth and four cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, reduce to a simmer, and cover.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
- With tongs, remove chicken and chop or shred into bite-size pieces.
- Add pasta to pot and cook until tender, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir in chicken and dill.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Substitute egg noodles or your favorite pasta instead of the vermicelli or angel hair pasta.
- For an even heartier soup, you can add cubed potatoes, which should be added with the other vegetables. Additional salt will most likely be needed though, because potatoes will soak up salt.
Yield: 6 servings