This recipe uses quick cooking barley, which can be purchased boxed at your grocery store.
2 onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking barley
- Cook 2 sliced onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil until caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Saute 3/4 pound sliced crimini mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter.
- cooking barley in chicken broth as the label directs
- Toss with the mushrooms, onions, some dill and salt.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Add some finely chopped garlic to the pan with the onions and let it caramelize. It will add some depth of flavor.
- The mushrooms should be washed well – to do so, clean them with a damp cloth. Do not use running water to clean them and do not submerge them in water – they will simply absorb the water and dilute the dish.
Yield: 4 servings