Forget take-out – make your own stir fry! This veal and asparagus combination is a great way pair a protein with a vegetable to make a tasty supper.
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3/4 lb. thin slices lean veal round steak
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 oz.)
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tsp. chopped fresh (or 1/2 tsp dried) thyme leaves
12 oz. asparagus spears, cut into 1 inch pieces
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook shallot and garlic in oil, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden; reduce heat to medium.
- Add veal. Cook about 3 minutes, turning once, until light brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Of course, you can substitute your favorite protein. If you substitute a vegetable, use one that is firm enough to stand up to the high heat, such as snow pea pods, broccoli or green beans.
Yield: 4 servings