I first saw these on the menu at a local pub and I was immediately intrigued. A deep-fried vegetable sounded odd, but yet interesting. I ordered them and I have been a fan ever since. Make you own deep-fried green beans using the recipe below.
Peanut oil, for frying
1 cup beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk the beer, flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Dip green beans into batter to coat, letting excess drip off.
- Fry in the peanut oil in batches, until they are golden and crisp.
- Remove from oil with a spider strainer to a paper towel lined sheet tray.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Food Mingle Blog Alternative and Substitutions:
- Instead of peanut oil, you can use any other high smoke point oil, such as canola oil, soybean oil or sesame oil.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, Courtesy: Patrick and Gina Neely, Show: Down Home with the Neelys, Episode: Fill ‘Em Up