This original recipe is a result of a lazy Saturday afternoon. I didn’t feel like grocery shopping, so I want shopping in my own kitchen and pantry. I started with some frozen, bulk Italian sausage, which I defrosted in my microwave. Then, I looked for some flavorful additions, and found frozen spinach, canned beans and leftover bread stuffing cubes. I hope you like the result it as much as I do. Try adding what you have on hand and see what you can create.
1/2 stick butter
16 oz. mild Italian Sausage, bulk
8 oz. cubed bread (stuffing)
1/4 cup water
8 oz. frozen spinach (not thawed)
16 oz. cannellini beans
pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add crumbled sausage to pan; cook until browned through.
- Add half of the bread cubes, stir until well combined.
- Add water and other half of the bread crumbs, stir until combined.
- Cook over medium heat 15 minutes, or until sausage is fully cooked.
- Add frozen spinach, cook 10 minutes until spinach is cooked through and liquid from it evaporates.
- Stir in beans and cook until warmed through.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutes:
- For even more flavor, substitute low-salt chicken broth for the water.
- Serve as is, or pour over elbow macaroni, rice or egg noodles.
- I did not add extra salt because of the high salt content of the sausage, but you can season to taste.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: Food Mingle Blog