Did you know that the Czech Republic is the poppy seed capital of the world, producing close to 25,000 metric tons of the seeds each year? The next closest producers are Turkey, with just over 16,000 metric tons and Spain, with 11,000 metric tons annually (www.wikipedia.com). The poppy seed is derived from the opium poppy and is used whole or ground, or pressed to make poppy seed oil. In this recipe, they are used whole and add a slightly nutty flavor.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup poppy seed
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Powdered sugar, if desired
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease bottom only of loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Mix all ingredients except powdered sugar in large bowl; beat 30 seconds with spoon.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Serve with your favorite flavored butter or jam.