I read recently in the Washington post that Americans from the mid-west to New England are facing a shortage of some brands of whipped topping this holiday season. The shortage is attributed to limited production of nitrous oxide, which is used in keeping and dispensing the canned whipped cream. As distribution of the gas ramps up, it will be delivered first to medical facilities, such as dental offices, where it is used for sedation. The gas is expected to be widely available again in February. If you haven’t already stocked up on your whipped topping for the holidays, you night have to enjoy that pecan pie naked (the pie, not you)!
You might know The Hershey Company best for their decadent chocolate. But did you know that Milton Hershey’s first candy company was Lancaster Caramel Company? While seeking a candy coating for his caramels, Hershey discovered wonderful chocolate. In 1900, he sold Lancaster Caramel Company to the American Caramel Company, and later went on to found The Hershey Company.
1 cup light-brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened to desired consistency.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions
- The longer your heat the mixture, the darker (and thicker) the caramel will become.
Yield: enough for one cake
Happy National Parfait Day!
Break out your fancy glass bowls – it’s time to celebrate the parfait!
Parfaits are a kind of frozen dessert, dating back to 1894. From the French meaning “perfect”, parfaits are often the perfect, simple dessert to conclude most any meal.
Happy National Lemon Meringue Pie Day!
You’ve seen it, you’ve probably tasted it. but do you know what meringue really is? Meringue is a type of dessert made from whipped egg whites and sugar, and occasionally an acid, such as lemon, or cream of tartar and a binding agent such as salt or cornstarch. it is often used as a topping on various confections.
There are several types of meringue preparations, including:
- French meringue or basic meringue in which fine white sugar is beaten into egg whites.
- Italian meringue is made with boiling sugar syrup which is then whipped into softly whipped egg whites till stiff and until the meringue becomes cool.
- Swiss meringue is whisked over a bain-marie (double boiler) to warm the egg whites, and then whisked steadily until it cools. It is usually then baked.
Try this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe to celebrate the day!
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup chocolate covered pretzels, chopped (plus some for topping)
- Soften ice cream at room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl; use a spoon to mash the pretzels into the ice cream.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- Serve topped with more chocolate-covered pretzels.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Other ice cream flavors that would work well with this recipe are ginger or cinnamon.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, Food Network Magazine